This haymaker’s punch recipe is sure to hit the spot on a hot summer day! An Old Timer’s homemade sports drink that was even written about by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
After spending the morning in the hot summer sun, we were ready for the air conditioner, not to mention a refreshing cold drink.
It was a hot day in August. The kind of day where you’re dripping sweat minutes after going outside. Quickly, we do our chores and head back in the house.
I told Shaun, “We should make haymaker’s punch.”
This drink is a healthy alternative to sugary sports drinks. It also dates back to colonial times! Pretty cool, huh?
Why you will love this haymaker’s punch recipe:
- Balances electrolytes
- Unlike plain water, it won’t upset your tummy when drinking a lot at once. That’s because the ginger in this drink keeps the stomach calm.
- Sweetened with natural sweeteners like maple, honey, or molasses.
- It’s such an easy recipe. With only 4 ingredients, this is a refreshing drink to keep on hand during the summer.
- Minimal prep time. This recipe can be made in under 10 minutes.
Tips For Making This Recipe:
- Make ahead and chill. Very refreshing when extra cold.
- Use any natural sweetener. Preferred sweeteners are maple, honey, and molasses. When using honey, add warm water to dissolve the honey before adding the other ingredients.
- Keeping fresh ginger in the freezer will prevent mold.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Tools you may need:
How To Make Haymaker’s Punch
Using the small side of the box grater, grate 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger. Add the ginger to a pitcher with 1 gallon of water.
Add maple and apple cider vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar with the mother. The mother contains probiotics which can improve the health of your gut.
Stir until blended. Chill in the fridge one hour.
Watch the video for this recipe here!
- 1 gallon water
- 1 1/2 cups maple, molasses, or honey warm the water to dissolve honey. this step is not necessary if using maple
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- Add 1 gallon of water to a pitcher.
- Using one of the small sides of a box grater, grate the fresh ginger.
- Add ginger to water.
- Add honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir until blended.
- Chill for at least one hour. Enjoy!
Recipes You May Enjoy: